We’ve known it for years but you didn't believe us, so this year we got busy, and we’ve been testing (ok fine, playing on the beach) and couldn’t be more excited to share exactly why we never hit the beach or pool without a Simple silk sling in tow!
Our favorite Beach Sling? SILK.
Our favorite sling for the Summer? SILK.
Don’t believe it? Watch the video above and then scroll down to learn our beach tips + a bit of fun science behind our silks at the beach!
1. What textile is the best for the beach or pool?
2. What is the best way to clean your sling after the beach or pool?
We tested all of our textiles (linen, bamboo, silk) in both ocean water + chlorinated pool water to see how much buildup of debris or chlorine each fiber absorbed. Once we knew that we set out to remove the residue.
The results didn't surprise us but they might surprise you!
The Winner: Simple Silks
The protein in the dupioni silk fiber actually helps to repel debris, salt, and sand. When dipped and swirled in a simple vinegar and cold water solution after the days adventures - the debris from the ocean and the chlorine from the pool seemed to just fall off the fibers restoring our Simple silks. Leaving behind nothing but a clean, soft, and floppy sling ready for our next adventure!
*Scroll down for our Top Silk Beach + Pool Tips, plus learn how to do a cold water vinegar dip by watching the video below!
1. Clean Your Sling When You Get Home.A day at the beach or pool will deposit residue on your sling. The key to using your silk as a beach or pool sling is to remove that residue after use. Don't let it build up. Be sure to do a cold water vinegar rinse (how-to video below) on your sling when you get home to remove any ocean debris or chlorine residue on your sling and keep it fresh. Sooner rather than later is always best!
2. Shade. When not in use, place your silk sling in the shade or under your towel. All natural fibers can fade in the sun.
3. Darker Colors. Remember, just like a pair of dark jeans, the more saturated the color the more color loss you will have, especially when wet. Example, a red sling and a white bathing suit = pink bathing suit. (Light colored silks are great for the beach or pool for this reason! Amber, Fleur, Seafoam, etc.)
4. Hang to Dry. Your sling will dry quickly but be sure to hang or drape your silk to dry - you don't want to leave it balled up to dry.
5. Sheen. Want a little less sheen on your silk? Don't worry a vinegar dip will do that too. In fact, we love to dip our brand new silks in a cold water vinegar dip, it's a great way to break them in and mattefy the sheen a bit! Watch the video below to learn how.
Crafted from two layers of lush, hand loomed silk. Full of character and dimension, the natural nubs and slubs of the threads tell the story of this textile's origins in the mulberry trees of India. Natural workhorses, Simple silks are grippy and strong, supportive and breathable, absorbent and lightweight. Crafted to perfection right here in our San Diego workshop.
Are you looking for a great Beach or Summer Sling? Learn why Simple Silks are our favorite! Silks for Summer